My Psalm

"I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."-Psalm 139:14

Monday, June 21, 2010

Understanding Self-Esteem


woman-low-self-esteem
Originally uploaded by mncoward
There are two forms of self-esteem that one can possess, low self-esteem and high self-esteem. In this day and age over half of the female population suffer from low self-esteem. We all can overcome this but in order to do so we first must fully understand what self-esteem is.

Let's take a look at how the Wikepedia defines it: "Self-esteem is a term used in psychology to reflect a persons overall evaluation or appraisal of his or her own worth. Self-esteem encompasses (for example, "I am competent" or "I am incompetent") and despair, pride and shame. A person's self-esteem may be reflected in their behaviour, such as in assertiveness, shyness, confidence or caution. Self- esteem can apply specifically to a particular dimension (for example, "I believe I am a good writer, and feel proud of that in particular") or have global extent (for example, "I believe I am a good person, and feel proud of myself in general"). writer, and feel proud of that in particular") or have global extent (for example, "I believe I am a good person, and feel proud of myself in general"). Psychologists usually regard self-esteem as an enduring personality characteristic ("trait" self- esteem), though normal, short-term variations("state" self-esteem) also exist"


Hopefully you now have a better understanding of what self-esteem is.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment